Friday, September 23, 2011

4.2 to 4.0 swap

My 1990 YJ when it still had the 4.2
When i got my yj wrangler a couple of years ago, i noticed it had a carbureted motor in it and I didn't really think much of it because I thought it would be a good motor since it was a six cylinder.  After driving it a while, i realized I was wrong.  It leaked and burned a lot of oil, about 1-2 quarts per week.  It also wasn't very powerful, and it had bad gas mileage, which was around 10 mpg.  After driving it for about a year with that motor, i decided i should try to find a motor to swap into my jeep.  At first,  I wanted to just try to put a head from a 4.0 on my motor which would give it about 30-50 more horsepower, but i wanted to go with fuel injection.  Then, I wanted to put a 5.3 Liter V8 out of a 1999-up chevy truck, but after some shopping, i realized that would be over 1500 dollars, plus having to deal with the axles breaking over time and having to change the motor and transmission mounts.

After doing a bunch of research online, i realized a 4.0 out of a cherokee or a newer (91-95) wrangler would bolt right in and would need minor wiring modification.  So, i tried to find a cherokee motor, but it was hard to find one that wasnt parted out already.  Since i was going from carburetor from fuel injection, i would need the fuel lines and gas tank from the donor vehicle.  After doing some searching, i found out that a junkyard near where I live had just gotten a 1994 wrangler with a 4.0 and a manual transmission, which is really nice because if I were to get one that was bolted up to an auto, i would have to get a new computer for the manual transmission.  So, i decided to get the one from the wrangler.

In future posts on this blog, i am going to describe the steps i had to go through to get the new 4.0 liter motor to work in my wrangler with the 4.2.

8 comments:

  1. This is fabulous.Great post!Thank you for sharing.Keep it up!!!
    jeep service woburn

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want an updated! I'm doing the same swap in my 87 YJ. I have an entire 94 Cherokee class donor vehicle. I'm a little worried about the wiring, that's really my only concern. your input will be greatly appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Please do update!! Looking at the same situation with my 88 yj wrangler

    ReplyDelete
  4. Due to frame issues thinking about swapping all my 90 4.2 off the old frame and onto a 95 frame with 33's and lift kit already installed. Will this work or will turn into a conversion nightmare?

    ReplyDelete
  5. 90 to 95 frame swap posted ,imutes ago

    ReplyDelete
  6. Replies
    1. I would like to know how this went for you also. I have a 90yj 4.2l with Holley 2300 performance carb hei distributor nuttered headers all the good stuff runs great. Problem is it has a rod or main bearing knock a I can't find a crank kit any where but the 4.0l is so much easier to find parts for. So let us know,thanks

      Delete
  7. would like to know how this went for you. I'm doing a 96 4.0 off an xj into my 87 wrangler

    ReplyDelete